8 Web Conferencing/Meeting Apps for Freelancers for Real-time Collaboration

Ahmed September 2, 2009 23

This post is primarily aimed at Freelancers however will be just as useful for those working in the web design industry who speak to clients on a daily basis.

What is it?

Web conferencing allows anyone, anywhere to instantly share their desktop and ideas online with other users simultaneously.

• Real time collaboration (Including mouse and Keyboard sharing)
  • Synchronise live presentations, webpage’s and whiteboard
  • Educate and train (Very useful for showing clients how to user their new CMS etc)
  • Record and playback your webcast
  • Host live seminars

Why use web conferencing?

List below will vary depending on the app.

• Become more productive
  • Save money on travelling costs
  • Save time
  • No hassle
  • Browser based (No installation required)
  • Suitable for a 2 person meeting or a 200 people meeting
  • Generally FREE for up to 20 users forever
  • Quite cheap for premium service
  • The next best this to meeting in person” – Abode.

8 Web Conferencing/Meeting Apps for Freelancers for Real-time Collaboration

DimDim

Yugma

VYEW

Cisco webex

VIA3

GoToMeeting

Microsoft Office Live Meeting

OK… This is probably not in the budget of most freelancers however if you have the full Microsoft Office Suite then you can probably do some bargaining with Microsoft…

Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro

Pricey. But if you’re a big time freelancer, this is probably the one for you.

Conclusion

Some of the above are awesome products. The free limitations are more than enough for freelancers and most web design agencies also.

By making full use of them, you clients will no doubt be impressed. Not only this, but you’ll save a huge amount of time throughout the year. I’ve been in the situation of a 2 hour phone call explaining how to use the basics of WordPress will I could have done this in under an hour using web conferencing!

23 Comments »

1. Andrew Donnelly, Mikogo Web Conferencing September 2, 2009 at 12:57 - Reply

Hi Ahmed,

Have you tried Mikogo? It’s a free desktop sharing solution for web conferencing, but also remote support. Free for commercial use, and very easy to get started.
    You can find more info at http://www.mikogo.com Please consider adding Mikogo to your list of web conferencing apps. And if you are after further info, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Andrew Donnelly
    The Mikogo Team
    Twitter: @Mikogo

• Ahmed September 2, 2009 at 17:46 - Reply

Hi Andrew, thanks for the link! Will add this to the list soon.

2. aukseo September 2, 2009 at 16:23 - Reply

Nice, list may I also suggest http://www.powwownow.co.uk/ which i’ve used in the past with no problems.

• Ahmed September 2, 2009 at 17:47 - Reply

Nice. Will add this soon.

Thanks!

3. Kayla September 4, 2009 at 04:01 - Reply

Great roundup. I have yet to work with a real-time collaboration, but I know I’ll need to once I get going on my freelancing career. I just can’t wait until Google Wave comes out!

• Ahmed September 5, 2009 at 01:01 - Reply

Thanks Kayla.

It’s very important to be organised when freelancing. I’m also awaiting Google Wave!!! Not long left!!

4. David Lee September 7, 2009 at 07:22 - Reply

You forgot to mention http://wetoku.com and http://tinychat.com!!

Tinychat is good for simple multiuser web conferences.

Wetoku is great for making dead-simple recordings of 2-user web chats. These recordings can immediately be embedded into a blog or website. Video journalism for the new social web!

• Ahmed September 7, 2009 at 15:38 - Reply

Sounds good! Might use this here also!

Thanks for the comment.

5. Russell Dalton November 9, 2009 at 22:49 - Reply

Thanks for the post. You might also want to check out omNovia Web Conference at http://www.omnovia.com. It can host between 2 to 5,000 simultaneous participants in an install-free environment. It also has a very advanced record/replay feature.

• Ahmed November 11, 2009 at 09:00 - Reply

Thanks for the link – will definitely check this out!

6. Kelsey C November 20, 2009 at 17:59 - Reply

I’m a freelance writer, but I’ve got 10 writers who also work for me. I like to web conference with them using RHUB, because a lot of times I’ll have them collaborate on projects. It’s been a breeze to work with so far, because RHUB will work on any system, regardless of what type of firewall setup a person’s computer might have.

• Ahmed December 11, 2009 at 08:36 - Reply

Thanks Kelsey, I’ll definitely look into RHUB in the near future. Sounds very good!

7. Anil AMrit November 29, 2009 at 10:51 - Reply

Ahmed,

Try Yuuguu too. http://www.yuuguu.com/home

Ive been using this for a while now and have found it invaluable when it comes to discussing/demonstrating work using the screen share option.

• Ahmed December 11, 2009 at 08:39 - Reply

Thanks Anil for the link. I’ll be looking into this very soon!!

8. internet marketing arizona June 29, 2010 at 15:55 - Reply

I also suggest http://web-op.com/ which i’ve used in the past with no problems.

• Ahmed July 14, 2010 at 11:58 - Reply

Nice One!

• Marc Buurke December 6, 2010 at 13:53 - Reply

I second that!

9. David March 1, 2013 at 16:47 - Reply

Hi Ahmed! I’ve been working with this one: http://www.bell.ca/shop/Sb_viewProduct.page?sku=SB_PHO_CON Thanks for the info!

Leave A Response »